Monday, October 4, 2010

What to do with 60 pounds of honey?


This is fresh, raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey crafted from a blend of floral sources native to the sage, alfalfa, and orchard filled lands surrounding Tooele County. It is light in color but has a pretty complex yet pleasant taste. This came directly from the bee keeper himself. I think the more natural and pure the honey you buy is, the better your final product will be.





















Ok, first thing, straight mead is out. Sorry mead lovers, but it is just is not my thing.

I am thinking a Braggot... sort of a mead/beer cross might be interesting. Basically it’s a beer with at least 50% of the fermentables being honey. It that was popular in medieval times. References to it have been found dating back to 12th century Ireland. I would probably add in some fruit or herb to keep things interesting.

I also have plans for a deadly Imperial honey Porter of 10.5 ABV. I would take half of the honey and add it near the end of the boil. The other half I would cook down until it was a dark amber color then add it right at the end of the boil. 


That will only make a tiny dent in this stuff. I need more ideas on what to do with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Banner