Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I got plans honey!

I want to do some experimentation on this honey project. I was going to do a mini batch of Braggot but then though whats the point... it will still be about the same amount of work. So I have a plan to brew 3 beers in one session. Here is the plan in a nutshell:

1) Brew 10 gallon malt base (SG ~1.060)
2) Split wort into two kettles with 5 gallons in each
3) Brew one kettle as a standard Belgian ale, use a small amount of honey (and maybe some honey malt), and ferment with a Belgian yeast strain.
4) Brew the second kettle as a Braggot by adding 8 or 9 pounds of honey and a lot more hops.
5) Split and ferment this in two 2.5 gallon batches and use a medium intensity Brettanomyces strain in one and something fairly neutral in the other.


One brew session, three beers, and all with different timings. I will be drinking the ale after two months, the regular Braggot around six, and the lambic style at twelve.

I plan on documenting this project every step of the way here on the blog. More details to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Banner