Saturday, July 20, 2013

Smokin Oats Porter Brew Day

On this scorching July Saturday I brewed a Smoked Porter. A Smoked Porter seems like an odd choice of style to brew mid summer and I agree, it is. Reason? I have two people in the house who absolutely love this beer. One of them, my father in-law, is staying with us while he recovers from surgery. If possible I would like to try and keep him drunk. At least I think I do... we will see. On top of this, he said he would pay for a batch of porter. He didn't tell me the size ;) My wife is also a huge fan of the style.

Of the porter styles I have brewed, I most enjoy a coconut version and a smoked version. He opted for smoked. Fine by me.. let's brew a batch! a 20 gallon batch!

I changed up the recipe a bit. My LHBS is finally carrying naked oats. Its been several months since I have used these as I have have had to mail order them in the past. I absolutely love naked oats. The flavor they bring, at least in the proper amount is not really noticeable. But the body, oh the body. Don't beleive me? Ask Todd Haug, Brew master at Surly about them, and how much he uses them!

On top of the naked oats, which make up 3% of the grain bill, I added quick oats at a rate of 4% of the bill. This will be my first time adding any oats to this recipe. The recipe is solid and in my opinion the beer will benefit from the oat addition. We will see in a few weeks if I am right.

Also this week my wife wanted to get involved in the brewing. She helped out as well as learned some cool brewing terms and techniques!
.

Smokin Oats
Robust Porter
Type: All GrainDate: 7/28/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 galBrewer:
Boil Size: 23.90 galAsst Brewer: Gabrielle
Boil Time: 60 minEquipment: Stainless Pots (26 gallons) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 20.50 galBrewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency 78.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Ingredients
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbsPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain141.2 %
12 lbsMunich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain224.7 %
9 lbsSmoked Malt (9.0 SRM)Grain318.6 %
2 lbsOats, Flaked (quick oats) (1.0 SRM)Grain44.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 ozChocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)Grain53.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 ozChocolate Malt (375.0 SRM)Grain63.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 ozGolden Naked Oats (10.0 SRM)Grain73.1 %
1 lbsBlack (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)Grain82.1 %
2.00 ozColumbus (Tomahawk) [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 minHop928.8 IBUs
5.50 ozSybilla [6.50 %] - Boil 10.0 minHop1010.0 IBUs
Re-PitchSafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast11-
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SGMeasured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: ?Measured Final Gravity: TBA
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %Actual Alcohol by Vol: TBA
Bitterness: 38.8 IBUs
Est Color: 32.1 SRM
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge - 154 degreesTotal Grain Weight: 48 lbs 8.0 oz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Banner